Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, February 20, 2010

"The Boy in the Striped Pajamas"

Gasp, gasp, gasp!! I don't know what to say. I came across this book while looking for another (The Book Thief, my next book to read). I recognized the title as a movie that got rave reviews, so I thought it would be interesting to read the book which inspired the movie. No wonder someone jumped on the ban wagon and wanted this on film for many to see. This book was breathtaking! I had a general idea of what it was about and as I started to read and continued to read until the end, I was anticipating what was coming next. Bruno and Shmuel didn't know what was going on as they were only 9yo, at a period of innocence, and living at the moment; while the reader, me and you, at the 21st century knew the history. Granted history class was not my favorite subject, perhaps I looked at it as many dates and events to remember for a test. But here in this book, history was alive. History was personal. History became understandable and appreciated. What a horrible time that was! Yet, the author took a point to address that such a "fence" still exist today. As grateful as I am to have not encountered such a fence, I can't help but wonder if I too can be counted as complacent to what's going on at this day and age. I'm going about my life oblivious to today's history of contention. I really should read a newspaper! Yikes!!

This is the best novel I've read so far. Simple seemingly dragging form of writing but the whole of it is beyond description! It will not give you the sympathy cry like one might expect of a story about the Holocaust, but rather place you in a profound silent heartache and awe.

My sister-in-law has this movie so Dave's going to pick it up from her after work tonight, so as you can imagine a portion of tomorrow will be spent watching it! I'm eager to find out the movie's take on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates