Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, March 21, 2010

"Push" aka Precious


by Sapphire, 1996-original, 2009-this movie cover, 140p, rating=4.5, for adults only

There are things in life that you don't have to experience to know that it is beyond sickening. In this case, child abuse! I dare not say I know what it was like for this character,Precious, but certainly I can say that I know I don't like it. Having children of my own, I am horrified-horrified-horrified!!

This book touched on several issues worth questioning like: the education system, social classes, self-esteem, welfare system, and parenthood. Precious could be the poster child of the negatives that come from these issues. So as a reader, I found myself rooting for her success in breaking the awful abuse cycle and her determination to push to the next level and have a "normal" life.

I applaud those teachers that empower their students to get to the next level and the rest of the next levels after that! Even more, I applaud those teachers that recognize that each of his students is a Precious in some way therefore is relentless in encouragements. I don't only talk about formal educational teachers but you and me. As parents, relatives, or friends to children we have a duty to provide them a safe, healthy, and thriving environment. Yes, that's the ideal world. That's what we're striving for, right?

There was a very ugly portrait of motherhood here. Oh, mothers everywhere, let's not be like the mother of Precious. Let us remember our sacred duty to our children ... to rear them in love and righteousness and to always be their advocates!!

What a powerful and affecting book! ~I am grateful that I can read and write. I am grateful that I had a childhood. I am grateful for a caring mother. I am grateful for my awesome husband. I am grateful for the continual divine guidance.

P.S. I didn't see the movie! I don't think I will either. It got great recognization at the Academy of Awards so I'm guessing the movie got it right??

P.S.S. Due to foul language and sexual content, I only recommend this to adults.

1 comment:

  1. i've always stumbled to reviews on this particular book.. but i am not sure if i have the guts to read it... :P

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates