Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, October 11, 2010

Brief reviews

I'm not completely back from my sabbatical, but the books I've read are piling up so I thought I would at least give a brief review of them.  ~Wouldn't you know it.  It seems like I can go through more books by not giving full reviews.   Hmmm, will talk more about it later.  ~Take great care.  *waves*

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Foer, AF, 2005, audio CD, 11hrs, rating=4
read:  10/2/10

A precocious nine year old on an adventure; letter-full of historic tragedy of his grandparents; I think this is one instance that reading the book might be better because as I understand it, the bound book has graphics ... I'll have to check it out some day.
Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris, NF, 2000, audio cassettes, 5hrs, rating=1
read: 10/1/10

I don't know, I just didn't like this one.  I only got through a quarter of book and just gave up.  Maybe it got better later on but I wasn't interested in finding out.
Speak by Laurie Anderson, YA, 1999, 198p, rating=4
read:  10/2/10

A story of a high school girl who finally figures out that keeping it all bottled in wasn't a great concept after all.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, AF,1985, audio cassettes, 4.5hrs, rating=4
read:  10/4/10

I think I enjoyed this because I pictured Robert Redford as I was listening and what can I say, the young Redford was a hottie!  Anyway, a simple lesson on socialites and superficiality.












 The Bridges of Madison County by Robert Waller, AF, 1992, audio cassettes, 3hrs, rating=1
read:  10/7/10

If you can stomach reading about a consummated adulterous temptation then you might find this to be a beautiful love story.  But I couldn't so hence the poor rating. 

I'd rather read a book rooted in fidelity over one that is rooted in adultery, hands down!


Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney, YR, 2007, 217p, rating=2
read:  10/4/10

A good kid's book.  My 7yo enjoyed it, but too many antics for me.
Just One Wish by Janette Rallison, YA, 2009, 264p, rating=4
read:  10/8/10

What I call a 'teenie-bopper' kind of story but this one has a surprising depth.
Strung Out by Sara Paretsky, Mystery, 1997, audio cassettes, 80min, rating=2
read:  10/5/10

One of several 'one that can stand alone' kind of mystery series.  This one just didn't grab me.

1 comment:

  1. That has to be the best summary of Speak I have ever read!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates