Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Brief reviews: Death of a Salesman; Skin

Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller, AF, 1949, 139p, rating=3
Penguin Play edition

"The tragedy of a typical American--a salesman who at the age of 63 is faced with what he cannot face: defeat and disillusionment." (Goodreads)
The inner workings of the Loman family relationship was intriguing here ...old fashion, endearing, and frustrating.  There's a social class moral going on about the American dream ...will you really go far if you work hard?

by Ted Dekker, AF, 2007, audio CDs, 11.5hrs, rating=3

"A freak storm has spawned three tornados that are bearing down on the town of Summerville. Yet under the cover of the storm looms a much more ominous threat: A vindictive killer known as Red who’s left a string of victims in his wake and is now bent on exacting his final revenge on the unsuspecting town. But there is an enigma surrounding Red that the FBI is unwilling to admit—closely guarded secrets of something gone terribly wrong beneath the skin of Summerville. Secrets that will destroy far more than one small town. Wendy Davidson is caught in the middle. She’s a recovering cult survivor who takes refuge in Summerville on her way to visit her estranged mother. And with her, four strangers, any one of whom could be the next victim..." (CD blurb)
Listening to this over a two week period may not have been a great idea.  I think I missed the heart pounding effect it would have had, had I read it.  Nonetheless, I still sensed the twisty thriller that I'm becoming aware of Mr. Dekker's writing.  This one played on the core of reality and beauty.  It was a bit psychologically gory for me though.  And I'm not sure about the ending too ... I want a definite game over!  ~BTW, I will get to the highly recommended Dekker book, Blink. some day ...I just keep forgetting to check it out when I'm at the library!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates