Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

"Michael Vey: The Prisoner of Cell 25"

by Richard Paul Evans, book #1, YA, 2011, 326p, rating=4.5

My name is Michael Vey, and the story I’m about to tell you is strange. Very strange. It’s my story.
To everyone at Meridian High School, Michael Vey is an ordinary fourteen-year-old. In fact, the only thing that seems to set him apart is the fact that he has Tourette’s syndrome. But Michael is anything but ordinary. Michael has special powers. Electric powers.
Michael thinks he's unique until he discovers that a cheerleader named Taylor also has special powers. With the help of Michael’s friend, Ostin, the three of them set out to discover how Michael and Taylor ended up this way, but their investigation brings them to the attention of a powerful group who wants to control the electric children – and through them the world. Michael will have to rely on his wits, powers, and friends if he’s to survive. (Goodreads)

Wow, that was a pretty exciting read!  I was weary about Mr. Evans dabbling into the young adult genre but he pulled it off!  I had type casted him as the sappy adult fiction novelist ... which I loved about him.  His adult books always touched my heart.  Well, this book proved to me that he can be eclectic. 

The story did have the feel of a young adult read with the classic Evans dialogue prose.  He also managed to squeeze in a couple philosophical moral statements, another classic Evans.  The only major Evans thing missing was the sap, which wasn't needed in this story (at least toned down).  I tell you, if I wasn't familiar with Mr. Evans, I would not have guessed that this was written by a renowned heart wrenching adult novelist.  This book definitely screamed young adult written by a seasoned young adult author.  Well done Mr. Evans!

In the beginning I needed encouragement to continue reading.  But, I was determined to see it through and it wasn't long after that things did pick up.  By the last third of the book the excitement was in full bloom and I became invested in the characters.  There was a definite good vs evil going on.  Ostin being my favorite.  He was a true superhero ... a mini MacGyver, a human smartphone ... I loved him!

This book dealt with age appropriate issues such as bullying, vanity, brainwashing, and self-esteem.  The storyline was a refreshing way to develop the attribute of integrity in these young teenagers.  By giving them something to fight for, they unite and rise to the challenge.  Excellent confidence building promotion.

I liked the ending ... one big battle down and the war to be continued in the next installment.  I'm definitely going to read the sequel!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates