Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Filipino Friday: Books and Friends

(Go HERE for details but go to homepage to link)

This week's question:
Books and Friends. We will have book discussions hosted by several book clubs during the ReaderCon, so to prepare us for that, let’s talk about books and friendships and book clubs. Are you a part of a book club? If yes, what made you join one? What’s your favorite activity that you have with them? If you’re not a part of one, will you consider joining one? Why or why not?

My answer:
I joined an online book club, The Filipino Group, in Goodreads a couple years ago.  I was fairly new to the book blogosphere community and stumbled into Goodreads.  There I sought out book club and found the Filipino group.  I was thrilled and immediately made connections with some of the members.  I was thrilled to find a group that shared a love for books and one that links me back to my native home.  I especially like that the members make great efforts to get to know each other, whether by polls, stimulating threads, or face-to-face meet-ups.  In the beginning I was able to participate in few key threads but later I got too busy with "life" and my participation became limited. However, this is the book group that is most dear to me so I will always poke my nose in there from time-to-time.  I have made life long friends there.  I know that if I visit the islands that I will have a place to stay and the same goes for them should they come my way.

I'm interested in putting culture in my reading so I joined The Classics Club this year.  They've got a wonderful program going on because it's flexible ..set your own goal and pace.  Perfect fit for me!

I do not choose to join any more book clubs right now because I know that I would not be able to commit to the time it takes to fully participate. 

By the way, my continued prayers go out for relief and safety to my countrymen in Manila and other places struck by the monsoon rains.  May the strength and resilience that you have shown thus far continue to shine!  I love you.  Be safe.


6 comments:

  1. Wow, you're also a member of The Classics Club! Now I'm really curious about that group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a sometimes-poster, mostly lurker at TFG :) It's good to just be around a book club, I think, even if I hardly post...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I joined a Book Club three years ago. A group was being formed and I decided I was tired of reading the same kind of books and wanted to branch out. Our Book Club is serious--we even read two each month (the second is considered our "overachiever" book). I love the friendships that have formed and feel like it's such a safe place to discuss anything. We'll go see movies together, too, especially if we discussed the book. There are also two retreats each year--one in the spring and one in the fall and we'll discuss books at those, too! I could go on and on, but I'll end with this--I love my Book Club!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, The Classics Club! I have always had difficulty reading the classics. So I mostly get educated about them through movie adaptations nalang. Hihi. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jinky! I didn't know you are a member of The Classics Club. There's another Filipino in our club (Darlyn of Your Move, Dickens), but we really don't talk much. It's from her that I found out about the club.

    And yay! Please let us know if you will visit the country. We'd love to meet you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peter --check out the group, I think you'll find it to be right up your alley.

    Mina --I've been more of a lurker at TFG too. Definitely, a book club has its good benefits.

    Mel --can I join your club?! Wow, that's awesome! We'll talk. ;)

    Tin --I can relate to getting the heads up thru movie adaptations. Since getting into reading, I'd like to read them now. :D

    Angus --I'm a silent member at TCC now but I'll look for you and Darlyn there. --No visits any time soon but certainly I'll let you guys know ..thanks for the warm invite.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates